Just a few more sleeps until Christmas …. are you still working on your holiday shopping list?
Here’s a very easy homemade gift that chocolate lovers will appreciate – homemade hot chocolate mix.
I started making my own mix last year and I’ve never gone back to store-bought mixes. I like to use mason jars, but any container will do. Just layer with cocoa powder (Dutch cocoa is really good), icing sugar (which dissolves faster), or even vanilla sugar would be great. Add a few sprinkles of cinnamon powder and top with small chocolate chunks or chocolate chips. How easy is that?
Calculate how many servings your container or mason jar will fit based on the ingredients below. Fill each container about ¾ full, to allow room to shake contents.
1 serving contains:
- 1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon icing sugar (or vanilla sugar)
- 1 – 2 tiny shakes of cinnamon powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon of small chocolate chunks or chocolate chips (any type: milk, semi-sweet or dark)
My mason jars fit 6 servings so I spooned in 6 of the above.
Heaping = generous serving!
Cut and paste the recipe below, and print out to include with each jar.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
• Dutch Cocoa Powder
• Icing Sugar
• Dark Chocolate Chunks
1. Shake jar
2. Add 1 heaping tablespoon to a mug
3. Add very hot milk, a little bit at first and mix well, then add remaining hot milk to top up your mug, stir to combine
4. Add your topping of choice – marshmallows or whipped cream
This is so much healthier than store-bought hot chocolate mixes!!