I’ve made mousse before, as part of a cake, but with the hot and humid weather, I opted for just the mousse. Some recipes produce a very firm texture, almost jello-like and I didn’t want that (if the mousse is part of a cake, it has to hold up, so in that case, you do need to use more gelatin).
This recipe only used one package of gelatin and the result was a light, fluffy, pillowy soft and very refreshing dessert. Perfect for summertime!
Adapted from ochef.com
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups hulled, sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream (35%)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Whole strawberries for garnish
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a small saucepan; let stand 1 minute to soften. Stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat
- Place hulled strawberries, granulated sugar, and gelatin mixture in a food processor or blender. Whirl to purée. Pour into a bowl. Chill until mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon, 1 hour
- Beat cream and icing sugar in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Stir one-quarter of cream into strawberry purée to lighten mixture. Fold in remaining cream
- Spoon into 6 stemmed glasses or dessert bowls, dividing equally. Chill for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight for best results
- If using frozen strawberries, thaw before using