Lamb chops (and lamb shanks) are at the top of my “craving” list. We’ve tried them with different marinades, mostly with olive oil and rosemary, but I wanted something different this time around. The recipe from Epicurious sounded easy, and I had all the ingredients in our pantry. I thought the amount of soya sauce would be too salty, so I cut down on the measurement and eliminated the salt. I only used ½ teaspoon of five-spice powder; it can be extremely strong and overwhelming.
I cut the rack of lamb into individual chops and marinated them overnight. Make sure you take them out at least 20-30 minutes before grilling (allow them to come to room temperature). Since it’s hardly BBQ season, I broiled them. They don’t take very long to cook, depending on how rare you want. I cooked them for approximately 6-8 minutes on each side, and they ended up being medium. They were very tender and juicy. I did find the lamb chops had quite a bit of fat on them, so I can’t say there was a lot of meat on each chop. We could have easily eaten at least 6 each!
The marinade is enough for 18 chops but we had 9 on hand, so I cut the recipe in half.
Tip: drain any excess moisture from the lamb chops before grilling or broiling. This will ensure a nice sear.
Asian Lamb Chops
- 1 ½ tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (Chinese rice/cooking wine)
- ½ tablespoon sugar or honey
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 9 rib lamb chops (about 1.5 pounds), well trimmed
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in small bowl
- Transfer to large resealable plastic bag
- Add lamb chops; seal bag and turn to coat
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat)
- Drain lamb, leaving some marinade clinging (if any)
- Grill lamb until slightly charred, about 3-5 minutes per side for medium rare/medium (this depends on how you like your lamb cooked)
- I broiled the lamb chops in the oven for about 6-8 minutes on each side for medium well
Enjoy; I know we did!
Tagged: Asian Marinade for Lamb Chops