H and I have dined at Crown Prince on numerous occasions, but this was the first time I took pictures. Their dim sum special runs 7 days a week; all small, medium and large items are the same price; currently $2.80 (before 11:00 a.m.).
The decor is not what you’d expect at a Chinese restaurant. My first impression was very much “Gone with the Wind meets Napoleon.” I found the gold columns, large glass chandeliers, purple velvet covered seats and curtains to be unique and opulent. I loved the teapot, reminiscent of afternoon tea. Their place settings were also impressive. The wait staff were dressed in black and black and white with ruffles, which was quite reminiscent of the French maid style.
The service was attentive (unless it’s busy) and dishes were cleared quickly. I would advise arriving very early on weekends to avoid the line ups.
The dim sum menu is on an order form, which is itemized in both Chinese and English . There are no carts.
Most of our visits have been consistent in terms of quality and taste. Today, there were a few dishes that were off.
- Steamed Shrimp Dumplings (Har Gow) – generous portion of plump shrimps with no detected fillers, very delicate skin
- Steamed Shrimp & Vegetable Roll – the shrimps were a bit rubbery this time. I would suggest trying the BBQ Rice Roll
- Steamed Chicken Feet with Abalone Sauce – tender with the right balance of flavors
- Steamed Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Egg Yolk & Conpoy – The egg yolk overshadowed the dried scallops; otherwise an enjoyable dish
- Steamed Beef Tripe with Ginger & Onion – tender tripe, flavorful
- Pan Fried Pork & Vegetable Dumplings – the skin was quite disappointing, tough and chewy
- Deep Fried Taro Dumplings – delicious
- Deep Fried Sticky Dumplings with Meat – nice combination of sweet and salty
- Beef Tendon with Chu Hou Sauce – the tendons were not as tender as previous visits; quite disappointing
- Soft Cake with Toasted Coconut & Sesame Seeds – the description for this dessert is very vague and misleading. It is similar to mochi cakes and was very good
Overall, we had an enjoyable dim sum and will re-visit at a later date.
This is not a paid advertisement.