The past few days have been cold and rainy, so I decided to make oatmeal for breakfast. I’m not particularly fond of oatmeal to be honest; however, H likes it.
I used Quaker Oats (large flake) and simmered with milk instead of water, and just followed the instructions given. I also added diced apples. I topped the oatmeal off with homemade brown sugar, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg. I love toasted pecans and sprinkled some on top. Toasting the pecans brings a real depth of flavor, and a nice crunchy texture to an otherwise boring bowl of oatmeal.
I have to say, this beats instant oatmeal any day!
- The cooking time on the package states 3-5 minutes (for microwave). I made enough for 4 portions and added diced apples. Total cooking time was approximately 20 minutes (stove top)
- Keep stirring on low heat as the oatmeal will stick to the bottom of your pot
- Add additional milk or water to suit your taste (thin or thick). I added up to 1 cup more
- Cooked oatmeal keeps well in the fridge. Just add a small amount of milk or water and microwave for a few minutes, stirring in between
- Sprinkle with toasted nuts just before serving